2008/06/23

reading

Besides the Bible reading that is finding its own regularity, I just finished A Tale of Three Kings by Gene Edwards...well, finished it a few days ago.

It's about submitting to church authority. Was pretty interesting. It broke down the relationships of Saul, David, and Absalom. The author is a pretty old dude and wrote this a couple decades ago but because of the Biblical-ness of it, still so applicable. The gist of it, what I got as a summary in my head/heart, is that we can't really know what or who's God-ordained (often takes hindsight) and sure it may seem it and at times it may seem not but isn't God in control of all of that. The book does state how we're talking about God's people. I mean, it mentions the issue of how sometimes things in this world have gotten better when the people overthrew their leader, but when we're talking about God stuff, the people are usually the dumb ones and God's the smartie, you know? Basically, thinking of how David acted with Saul...he didn't fight back, he dodged the spears, he was always blameless. And with Absalom, David didn't crush his own son, he didn't track him down or even fight back, he didn't become what Saul had been, David stayed David, a man after God's heart. David didn't know what was happening but he saw how he came into the position as king, it wasn't something he fought for, it was truly God's throne so he was willing to let go of it. Then translate this all to ministry, to pastors. I'm totally Absalom, or I've been Absalom. I allowed people to gather around and complain and share their problems and I had quick solutions that seemed perfect and would satisfy those who cared and I was able to lay out all the problems that plagued the ministry I was in, yet I acted as if I was doing something noble and not like I would overthrow anyone (I say that now). Yet, I see now how none of that was help and had I been called to stay here longer, well, I would have ended up throwing a revolt and having my own revolution overthrowing those seated as rulers in God's house. It's His house, the pastors, regardless of my opinion of their abilities, for now, they were placed there...I'm such the Absalom. But it really opened my eyes to the potential for me to be more like David. And David wasn't one just to submit and obey, he took off. He went alone (didn't even get manipulative and gather followers like I would have done, like Absalom did), he went to God. While hiding out in the caves, people showed up. They were a little rough around the edges, but you fast forward and you see that those are the ones who believed in him and stuck around while he was king and dealing with Absalom. Good stuff, good stuff.

The story itself is told in a sort of play-like fashion, like you're watching a play and seeing it all play out so it's not like reading some study on these Bible characters, which makes it easier to find your role in it all. It's simple and straight to the point. Anyone who has struggled with church authority or who is struggling with it, definitely a must-read. When I get back to the US, looking forward to finding more Gene Edwards books (AND reading them). He's got a lot. Interesting dude (I wikipedia-ed him---organic churches).

For now, I've finally gotten around to reading this book that was sent to me in preparations for Russia. It's by Adam Hamilton, a UMC (United Methodist Church) pastor in Kansas. The book is Selling Swimsuits in the Arctic, it's about church growth. It's short so I should have been able to read it in like one sitting but I'm pacing myself and taking notes (it's a borrowed book, good to have the choice quotes for later, you know?). So yeah, I should be done if I get back to it.

Still have boxes that need to be sent off. I think I can finish packing in like an hour tonight. It's so weird how I have so much junk, even after mailing off like 11 boxes! Since losing the big backpack I got, well, my travelling suitcase limit has been well, more limited so now I have to squish more in the suitcases I have. Whatever I send off I won't see for 3-4 months and the stuff I mailed off could get there between August and September. If it comes later than sooner, all I'll have is the stuff in my suitcases that I'm taking to Russia. And who knows what could get lost or stolen of that, trying to be prepared. But sometimes that kind of preparation is worthless. It's stupid that I'm still getting over the loss of some of my clothes. Ugh. But at least I didn't apply to the one-box seminary (not the name of the school but heard there is at least one seminary that only allows one box-good call though, do we really need so much stuff?). I can't imagine going to school with one box of stuff. It'd have to be a mighty big box. But as it is, I couldn't likely even get all the stuff I'm sending into a dorm room (though I have no idea what my room looks like or if I even have a roommate). Details. The plan is to start getting rid of these earthly possessions (not all, but more) when I get back. So many books. I like words, duh?

I have another topic I want to write on at the moment but I'll save it. So many words here...

Wow, so obviously I've broken so many grammatical rules that I would push in my classes such as NO But, And, So, or Because at the beginning of sentences (I think I would say that at least once a day, oftentimes, four or more times in one day)...whatever...hopefully my dear readers can see past the hypocrisy of my grammar along with the simply poor grammar. Oh, how I long to use bigger words, must learn some first, and to quit thinking that "today morning" is a correct phrase. I didn't do all that well learning Korean, so hopefully I can learn English when I go to America. ^_____^

1 comment:

jyoon said...

soon as i read "It's about submitting to church authority" - BAM. I need to read that book. lol.

thats really interesting what you say it says about david. i think i really need to get that book. im so glad i'll be able to come to your blog and check up on what you might be reading and benefit......^____^

really want to get book...