2009/02/24

Am I Asian?

Sitting in this Advanced Issues in Cross-Cultural Counseling class really causes me to wonder how the heck I've functioned decently for as long as I have. The issues are being brought up and dealt with so differently between Western and non-Western cultures that I can see me acting in each. Weird.

I can see how that gap is really difficult to jump across but using certain labels such as "denial" are very dangerous. Something in the "other" culture could be denial on one culture but it's not in the other. It's very much like the gap between Christians and non-Christians. How do we stand in the gap of that when we are Christians and we believe strongly in that? But the thing is, we HAVE TO STAND IN THE GAP. We have to be in the place to see both sides and understand both sides. Yes, we are going to believe one and relate to one but we have to pull the two together so that the "other" can join us in the gap and hopefully choose Jesus. When it's cultural, which side they believe is not as important, what's important there might just be to get them in the gap. The gap is a rough place.

Honestly, if I understand myself as "Asian" many of my actions make much more sense. But if I only use that lens to view myself then it wouldn't make sense. To sometimes replace that with an "American" lens then there is a balance and it makes sense in why and how I respond as I do.

1 comment:

jyoon said...

i've always struggled with this issue
the whole gap thing,,
i've become less restless and confused since coming to korea but yeah, i feel like...like i'm still trying to figure out both sides to KNOW where that gap is... argh