2008/09/08

not what you'd expect

So the service wasn't bilingual...BUT in catching the last bit of it, wasn't bad. Then Hee-tae (one of the 3 or 4 Korean guys here who isn't married) and I stayed for the Korean service after we knew we could get a ride back to campus. Wow, so it wasn't like super moving but much more moving than any Korean service I've sat through. The pastor had preached at the English service and it was a very similar message but HE is bilingual and yeah. The pastor's wife is an associate prof here at ATS (Asbury) and well, that was cool. The English service had people from all over. One of the pastors is a lady from India but she doesn't have an accent at all so that was crazy. The church even has a Hispanic worship service in the evenings. Yet with the English and Spanish it's still, at the heart, a Korean church and I flashbacked like 20 years and remembered my days as a kid going to church with my mom. Oh man, I was home.

I am pretty set on that being my church base for Kentucky, but I'll still check around. This is what Koreans like to call "eye shopping" (window shopping). I know I already have what I need, but I'll just look around and now I won't be disappointed if I go away without buying anything. So yeah, it was good. There's a Starbucks on the way so I think that will be part of my Sunday routine and I can make sure just to do my Wal-Mart shopping on Sundays as that's also on the way. Good deal. But yeah, I felt at home and it will give me a chance to get to know some of the Koreans on campus a little better, in a smaller setting.

Anyways, I SHOULD do some reading today. I went to the morning prayer at 6 am. Someone praying freaked me out so I didn't stay that long but I got in a nap, woke up and wrote some notes to the Korean guys (as encouragement and thanking them for making me feel welcomed and such), and then had lunch, helped Hee-tae with bank stuff, ran some more errands and now I'm here. I need to head out again to check on the evening daycare job (seems a contradiction of words) here on campus...THEN I will read and a couple hours later will be dinner. HAHAHA

Alrighty...outta here.

No comments: